The heat is picking up in Bali, and while most people enjoy topping up their tan while zooming around on a scooter, there are some, who, like me, wouldn’t mind the comfort of an air-conditioned car once in a while. (Plus, I think I’m good in the tanning department — I’m pretty set for the year seeing as I’m a good chocolate brown color now. Wouldn’t want to go overboard…)
Good thing there’s GrabTaxi!
So, what exactly is GrabTaxi?
“MyTeksi application is launched to the public on June 5, 2012, the first time in Malaysia and Southeast Asia to adopt a smartphone to smartphone technology for ordering and delivery of the cab. We have grown rapidly in 6 countries and 15 cities and expect to be in every major city in Southeast Asia.Currently, GrabTaxi is the largest taxi booking application and one start-up profits with the fastest growth in Southeast Asia.”
Similar to Uber, GrabTaxi is an app that you can download on your smartphone to order a cab. In Bali however, you shouldn’t expect a cab to turn up as it’s actually private cars (#WINNING!) that come and get you and therefore some people refer to GrabTaxi as GrabCar.
It’s far more comfy, clean and more spacious (can seat 7-8 pax comfortably; 3 rows) so it’s perfect for those traveling around in big groups. Their rates are also reasonable and are in fact cheaper than that of a regular cab. Speaking of cheaper, they have a promo right now. Key in MERDEKA when ordering a GrabCar and you can enjoy a flat rate of IDR15,000 to anywhere!
Promo Details (taken from GrabTaxi website):
To commemorate the 70th Independence Day of Indonesia, GrabCar is launching a promo code that Gives flat rate for passengers and Donating to the Indonesian Youth Movement of Change. Key in promo code MERDEKA and receive Rp. 15,000 flat rate for all rides in Bali and we will donate Rp. 500 on every rides to the cause during the campaign period.
How to use MERDEKA promo code:
- Download the app for free from the AppStore GrabTaxi, PlayStore, or BlackBerryWorld.
- Open GrabTaxi app, choose the menu and click ‘Register’. Enter your name, email, phone number, and click “Sign Up Now”. You will receive a Taxi Activation Code (TAC) through SMS. Enter the 4 digits to activate your account.
- Choose your pick up point and destination (within and around South Bali or Ubud and Uluwatu), then select GrabCar.
- Enter promo code MERDEKA on column.
- Click “Confirm Booking”, then receive a confirmation via SMS.
Terms & Conditions:
- This promo code is only valid for GrabCar users; pick up and drop off point is within South Bali (Ngurah Rai Airport, Kuta, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Seminyak, Legian and Kerobokan), Ubud and Uluwatu area.
- Every user GrabCar only required to pay Rp.15,000 to the driver.
- GrabCar will donate Rp. Amendment 500 to the Indonesian Youth Movement for every ride taken during the campaign period.
- This promo is only valid after receiving a confirmation via in-app notifications and / or SMS.
- All bookings should be made through GrabTaxi app.
- Promo period is valid until 15 September, 2015.
- This promotion can not be combined with any other promotions.
I for one have used this service many times (my referral code: C4A63F) and am generally pretty happy with it. Here are just a few things to note when ordering a GrabCar.
- Ordering a GrabCar might take a while sometimes. From my experience, it can range from getting a car within 5-10 mins of opening up the app to sometimes even 35 mins and well, other times, not even getting one at all. If you want to get somewhere on time, I suggest you give yourself a good half-hour head start when ordering and make sure to also have a plan B (Blue Bird Taxi or Go-Jek) just in case no one takes your order.
- Drivers cancel for no reason at all. Yay! Finally your order has gone through and a driver is on his way… but wait, what?! Why have they canceled all of a sudden? Yup, this happens. Why? I don’t know. If a driver does cancel on you, don’t fret, just open up the app and order again.
- Prepare to receive a call asking for your location. Even though you’ve keyed it in and the app itself has a GPS, I’ve found that a lot of drivers don’t really know how to use it. Make sure to be very specific so they can find you easily and just be extra patient with drivers who can’t speak English. Give known landmarks and speak slowly.
- Don’t always trust the timestamp on the map. Bali traffic has been getting worse lately and while it might say the driver is 10minutes away, make that 20… or perhaps even 25 (he will get lost). If you feel you’ve been waiting far too long, give your driver a ring or send him an SMS. You can find your driver’s details in the bottom of your order receipt.
- Won’t be long? Have your driver wait for you and tell him that you’ll order him again. They’re happy to do so as long as they won’t be waiting for hours on end. GrabCar drivers get a percentage of every fare so the more orders they pick up, the better it is for them.
Overall, I give GrabTaxi 4 stars out of 5 (why do they cancel for no reason???). I’ll definitely continue to use this service and hopefully, with what I’ve just shared with you, you will too. Leave a comment below to let me know what your experiences are with GrabTaxi. And don’t forget, key in MERDEKA to avail of their ongoing promo! There are only 8 days left! You’re welcome.
Peace, Love and Lipgloss,
P.S. This is NOT a sponsored post. I just really like their service.