Planning to spend your holidays in the tropics? Why the heck not! What with it’s warm weather, gorgeous beaches, breathtaking views… simply paradise! But with vacationing in the tropics comes its downside — mosquito bites. Lots and lots of them. And while slathering on some insect repellent lotion may be the most convenient option, caution needs to be taken as too much exposure to the ingredient DEET can lead to health hazards.
Here are a few mosquito repellent alternatives and hacks to help counter the mozzie bitefest.
- Avoid getting too hot. Mosquitoes are attracted to warm bodies so as much as possible try to stay cool. Wear lightweight, airy articles of clothing and bring a fan around with you.
- Don’t wear black/dark clothing. Compared to light colored clothing, black/dark clothing traps in heat thus the attraction of mosquitoes. Aside from that, studies show that mozzies see dark objects more easily. So stick to light colors. You’re in the tropics anyway! Why so glum, chum?
- Go easy with the perfume. Fragrances are known to attract mosquitoes so if you can, switch to unscented products. If you really must wear perfume, keep it to a minimum.
- Opt for natural alternatives. Citronella and Neem are great natural alternatives to DEET. They repel mosquitos just as effectively and are completely safe for babies.
- Lastly, for the most fool-proof method of repelling mosquitoes, simply stick with a friend who attracts those blood suckers more than you do! 🙂 You’re welcome.
Peace, Love and Lipgloss,